Dec 6, 2010

Pattern Drafting – Boys basic collared shirt…

Today I finally began drafting a pattern to use to create a 'Dex Hamilton' costume shirt. I found a really helpful tutorial on drafting a shirt block here at burdastyle.com.
It is for a men's collared shirt but I just modified it slightly to resize it down to a boys size 7.
For those of you who don’t know who Dex Hamilton is (I only have 2 girls and had never heard of him before but apparently a pretty popular cartoon character for young boys), here’s a picture to give you an idea of what I’m hoping my shirt will replicate:
page 
I am going to use the shirt block as the base for the pattern and then create a collar and shirt front to match the picture….
Here’s the start of my pattern draft:
Shirt block pattern draft
I drew the pattern up on some spare wrapping paper (I’d normally use butcher paper but I’d packed it away in the girls room and they were sleeping so I didn’t want to risk waking them up). I did start to draw on the white side but made a bit of a boo boo Silly with my first measurements so I flipped it over to the lovely gold side.
Here it is again but with the sleeve draft too:
DSC07589
The directions from burdastyle.com were pretty good (a little confusing on first read but it all made sense once I got started).
I then re-traced the sleeve onto a sheet of tracing paper so I could cut the pieces out.
DSC07590
Tomorrow I’ll cut the fabric and start to sew this baby together… Remember, this is what I want to end up with:
cats   So, I’ll keep you posted on how it goes… hopefully in a day or so I’ll have a lovely Dex Hamilton shirt to show off. This one’s a special request for the son of one of the mum’s at playgroup… really hoping it works out.

Oh, and if you like any of my posts or projects, let me know, leave me a comment, tell me what you like and what I could do better, what you’d like to see ….AND become a follower – make me feel loved Love Struck

0 Click to COMMENT... I ♥LOVE♥ hearing from you!:

Post a Comment

Hi and thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment... I just love reader feedback - and I also love replying via email...but you need to have a visible email in your account settings for me to do this, otherwise just know that I do read your comments and do appreciate them... Be sure to drop by again soon - I love the company ☺

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...