Feb 15, 2011

A foray into 'jewellry' making...



A big hello to anyone reading... it feels like its been a while since I've been on here but its only a matter of days! I've been busy sewing items for SpaNGle and time seems to have escaped me this week...

My Big Little Miss M had her kindergarten orientation last Monday, and today was her first full session... she is still ultra excited about it...

Check out the big floppy (and mandatory) kinder hat they have to wear as part of their sun safe policy for outdoor play - it nearly swallows her head (but I still think she looks gorgeous)!
Poor Little Little Miss M was a little lost all morning without her co-conspirator in household shenanigans about... a few times she even forget that Big Little Miss M wasn't there and went off running to get her when I gave her morning tea (it really was so cute)!

Now, onto a tutorial of sorts (it's a little late and this tutorial photographically dwindles off towards the end... I never realise this when I'm taking the photos - only when I start to edit and prep them for the blog draft but it's a pretty easy one so hopefully it'll all still make sense).

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had found a 'chain thingy' at a local thrift/op shop that looked as if it might have originally been part of a bag?? and that I wanted to turn it into a necklace.

Here's the original chain:

MATERIALS USED:
Chain
Long nose pliers
Two tones of thin 10mm satin ribbon
some satin fabric scraps for singed flower
three diamante buttons (saved from my 50c Thrifty Refashion)
Needles & Thread

TOTAL COST: approx $4(chain $3, ribbon from 99c spool and only used about 1m, remaining items already in sewing kit)

HOW TO:
(Click on photo's to enlarge & make reading the comments easier)





In the above photo the chain length that is separated from the four other lengths was the shortest larger chain length - it will become the section that goes around the back of my neck.




I suppose I could have done the above and below step before starting to weave the ribbon but I didn't think to do it till I did!


Okay, this is where my photo taking in this tutorial for reasons a little unknown to me (maybe I was just too absorbed in the whole jewelry making process...) become scarce... so bear with me as I explain, it really is pretty straight forward.

After tying the pink ribbon in a bow, I used a piece of lighter baby pink ribbon to weave through the remaining larger link chain. I simply tied a knot in the ribbon to attach the start and finish of the ribbon to the chain.



I then used some satin fabric scraps (in light and dark pink) and cut about... hang on let me count... about eight rough circle shapes. Four in each colour and in varying sizes. I used a candle to singe the edges and stacked them in alternating colours from largest to smallest, then using a needle and thread attached three small diamante buttons and stitched the flower to the chain on the opposite side to my ribbon bow.

Okay... just in time for a VIctORy DaNCe!!!
Here's the finished necklace...




Now, I'm not much of a jewelry person. I have the pieces I wear EVERYDAY and they rarely come off... my engagement, wedding, eternity ring, some simple gold earrings and a chain my mom gave me for my 21st... If I take jewelry off I have a bad bad habit of losing it so now I rarely will wear any other jewelry... so although I really am a little surprised at how much I like this piece the sad truth is I don't know if I'll ever wear it.... but it sure was a bit of fun and a nice break from sewing.

And speaking of sewing, over the week I hope to get my next refashion started (and completed).
Here's a little peak of what I'm starting with (it is VERY wrinkly cause I was too lazy to iron it tonight - but I promise I will iron it before I start cutting it up):


The photo doesn't do the fabric justice - it is a really nice weight cotton/elastin blend with deep red vertical stripes complemented with navy blue random script and flowers all over... Still kinda ugly in its present state BUT once again I promise you in my head I have a visual image of a very cute little girls outfit that I'm hoping to bring into reality... so please come back again, become a follower if you like and check out what I come up with...

Oh, and feel free to leave some feedback on the necklace - I'd love to hear what you think of it!

Cheers xo


Linking up & Partying with these FaBUloUS hosts (I will progressively add to this list):
Todays Creative Blog - Get Your Craft On
Tip Junkie – Tip me Tuesday
Funky Polka Dot Giraffe – Too Cute Tuesday
Its a hodgepodge life

28 comments:

  1. very cute idea. I would love to have you come and share at my Fantastic Friday link party at http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, I love the ribbon threaded through the chain, what a clever idea! Man, I wish I NEEDED a sun a hat this time of year, not enough sun where I am at!

    ladybirdln.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your necklace! So pretty and sweet!


    I am stopping by from Market Yourself Monday, at Sumo's I would love to have you check out my project! http://xsurvivingmotherhoodx.blogspot.com/2011/02/quilted-coasters.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is that!!! You never fail to amaze me with your refashions....love them :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss m looks so cute all dressed up and ready for school...I love first day photos..that look of anticipation is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little one is so cute! I love the necklace. Thanks for the tutorial! I found you on Made By You Mondays and am now following you.

    Melanie
    www.youmadethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow -so simple and beautiful!! nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that necklace! I combines two of my favorite things, pink and silver! If you need a good home for it, I would gladly take it off your hands, lol. Your daughter is adorable. The big floppy hat is a great idea, much better than a painful sunburn. I'm a new follower, and I'll be back to seewhat you've created with the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  9. visiting from Little Eme's Tute Yourself- this is FABULOUS!!! now I really want to try my hand at making one- simple genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the necklace is awesome--I adore pink :) And the ribbon through the chain is something I've been playing with too, it's just such a fun detail! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is similar to a tutorial i did! Well, just really that is has a cute accent flower too, hehe! I love how yours turned out! Here's mine http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/02/black-flower-and-bead-necklace-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This necklace is so great! Thanks for sharing how to. I love these kind of necklaces.

    xoxo,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super beautiful!! It turned out perfect. :)

    xxoo,
    Liberty

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like how much more colorful and beautiful a chain necklace can look with ribbon weaved inside it. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. It's something I'm going to try.

    Cheers,
    Tracy http://allthumbscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really cute necklace. I will have to bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the necklace! Of course I love pink and the flower is soooo pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's great! I want one... NOW! Thanks for sharing, I will definately be bookmarking and following!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a great tutorial!!! I love the flower and ribbon... Come link it up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is amazing! I just wanted to let you know that I featured your adorable boots on my blog.. hope you grab a featured button @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/02/since-i-am-totally-sucking-as-crafty.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. neat...I have tried threading ribbon through chain before...and it has never come out as straight as this (it keeps on falling down)...any trick?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty. What a simple way to make a complicated necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the ribbon woven through the chain, i would not have thought of that, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is just lovely. I like how you've woven the ribbon through the chain - such a fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That necklace is so cute!!! I also don't change out my necklaces much but I love this one!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment... I just love reader feedback - and I also love replying via email...but you need to have a visible email in your account settings for me to do this, otherwise just know that I do read your comments and do appreciate them... Be sure to drop by again soon - I love the company ☺

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...